Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dream #63

My team had tracked the location of a lost civilization of ancient horses to a remote island. As I stood on a sandy beach, staring out into a turbulent ocean, I realized I held an odd shaped geode and a large oval shell in each hand. I couldn't remember collecting them from the sand. I fell deep into thought, contemplating the importance of such simple items, and gradually my team drifted away to explore the mountains until I stood alone. The blue sky and crisp waters dazzled me, making it difficult to concentrate. I turned toward a cave thinking about the words of the ancient script. Somewhere a statue loomed over the hidden entrance, guarding the way.

Upon reaching the cave, however, I decided that the quest couldn't be so easily solved and began walking elsewhere. I tried to visualize what I had read; subtle messages regarding secret keys and twisting passages. Water. What was the importance of that?

I hiked for hours, enjoying the ambiance of my surroundings while never forgetting why I was there. A large wall of rock split the land mass into two, making half the island inaccessible. The cove below it looked different with the changing tides--silent now that the sea no longer slammed into the rocks with an explosive sound. The sun had warmed and dried the area. I slid down to the extended shore, noticing a small opening filled with clear water. Unlike many of the tide pools whose water grew warm during the passing of the day, this was ice cold, like the ocean. So, I thought to myself. It's deep. I kicked off my shoes and lowered myself into the hole. It didn't occur to me that the situation could be dangerous--that perhaps I should find one of my team members to help. Once I cleared the rock, I found myself in a dark underwater cave and began swimming for the bluish-green glow off in the distance. It was difficult to judge the size but with the pull of the current; it felt immense. Slowly, shapes began to take form and before I knew it, I was staring at the statue of a horse. My lungs screamed for air as I felt along the stone for some kind of opening or secret lever. Instead, I found two small odd shapes holes that reminded me of the shape of my shell and geode. I dug the items from my pocket and pushed them into the indention. With a rumble, the wall suddenly slid open and I was dragged through as the water emptied into the new cavern. Choking and sputtering, I managed to pull myself onto an underground shore. As my eyes focused in the semi-darkness, I found a set of stairs that had been carved into the rock. Filled with excitement, I jumped to my feet and began to climb. At the top of the stairs, I found a strange wooden door, and upon opening it came face to face with a man and woman who began clapping their hands. As I looked around, confused, I realized I now stood in a gift shop built into the rocks, and my exciting journey of bravery had only been a tourist attraction. I plucked up a small statue identical to the large one I had found not ten minutes earlier. Engraved on a small plaque, the words read: I found the ancient civilization of horses. I put the object back on the shelf and walked away.

No comments:

My Favorites