Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Two by Two

A lot has happened since my horse died. My other horse, Roman, became severely depressed and went off his feed for a few weeks and I decided he needed a friend. I began searching for animals to rescue and came across an African Pygmy Goat. Now, this little guy wasn't mistreated, mind you, he was in a "collectors" home and housed with about thirty other goats in a nasty, broken enclosure about half the size of my backyard. Yes, they had clean water and food, but the little goat I took had severely ingrown hooves, had never been vaccinated, and on the day I visited, had poop and urine stains all over his body from the much larger goats. I took him home that night. Roman loved the little guy, who I named Perseus. Although, Perseus wasn't as fond of the horse. After a few weeks, it was clear they liked the company and would graze near each other. When the weather was bad, they were each housed in separate barns and then both animals would go off they're feed again. Three days ago, I took in another goat--a Boer who I named Zeus. Now Zeus was well loved and taken care of through an FFA Agricultural Program through a little girl's school. When she began the program, she didn't realize how personable a goat can become--how dog like and companion oriented they are. As the Fort Worth Stock Show came to a close, as the goat reached his "market weight", her family realized they couldn't send the goat to slaughter with the others. I answered an ad on Craig's List, a plea to keep the little girl's goat from going to slaughter (or to an individual who planned to eat him. Which actually happens in this area quite a lot). On the same day I took in the second goat, I also adopted a "free" Quarter Horse given to my by a very caring friend (and family member) who wanted to help out me and Roman. This horse, who I named Apollo, has a severe hoof injury that will prevent him from jumping (hunter class) for some time. He was never a reliable jumper and lagged at the end of the course. I suppose his injury was the last straw and he was no longer wanted.

 

                                             Apollo                                                      

 

Zeus 

  

Perseus

No comments:

My Favorites