Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Adopted Stray


When this little cat showed up early this year, he was not quite full grown. He remained almost hidden near the barn, watching me during my daily horse activities. Little by little he crept closer, hoping to eat a little of the grain that my oldest horse dropped to the ground. But whenever I came near, he darted away. Over the next month, the skinny little thing stalked my shadow. I tossed kitty treats to him and he ate them ravenously. Gradually he came around, until I could even pet him. And now, he is affectionate and chases me if I get to far. When I'm indoors, he finds the window to the room I'm in, and settles on the ledge to sleep. I can even pick him up and hold him. He loves to be pet. But with the winter coming, I am a little worried. He would never adjust to life indoors, and I'm sure my little kitties would never accept him. He isn't neutered or vaccinated. For the first time in many, many years, I don't have the funds to spare. And unfortunately, the veterinary hospital where I work, has a four pet limit for employee discounts. Otherwise, the regular prices are too expensive. I have entertained building him a little outdoor house, where I can put a little heating pad, but again, no funds for this either. Right now, I have a carrier outside my back door, and each night he settles in the blankets to sleep. He is there when I go to bed and waiting when I get up. Like a loyal dog, he attends every morning chore: cleaning the horse pens, feeding, and walking the dogs. I'm torn because of my personal obligations. He is well cared for, but not to my own expectations.

No comments:

My Favorites