The Veterinarian performed some diagnostic tests: a CBC, Chem, and Parasite Exam. He found that my horse had some parasites, and we had a discussion that maybe there are some migrating worms in his lungs. I deworm my horses every August and April. I use products such as "Quest" or "Zimectrin Gold". He let me know that there are strains of parasites resistant to these products. But the doctor's differential diagnosis also included something infectious and cancer. My horse has gained weight this summer, not lost weight - which would not be typical of the kind of parasite problem that would cause migration to the lungs. We will know if it is cancer if the treatment doesn't work. My horse was treated with a super dose of deworming medication, and a whopping dose of antibiotics. He is on oral antibiotics for the next seven days.
The frightening thing about all of this is that four years ago, I lost a horse to what the doctor described as Acute COPD (Cardio Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder) or maybe cancer in the lungs, the doctor wasn't exactly sure. The horse I lost was the best horse I have ever had in my whole life. He was twenty-seven when he died. My horse, Tonka, lived only two weeks from the initial onset. I will be devastated if this process is repeated. Remus was very aloof when I got him, and it has taken years for him to become attached to me. He follows me around the pasture like a puppy dog now, and he is a very good trail horse. Last week I rode Remus for the first time since my back surgery. It had been eight months since I put a saddle on his back. Remus didn't miss a stride and was a perfect gentleman. He is a pet, and a friend. I don't want to lose him. My other rescue horse, Roman, is very attached to Remus. I think he would be completely lost without him. I guess I would be too. My animals are precious to me. They are companions and cherished family members.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Loving Horses
A few days ago, my horse had a crisis. I discovered him with heaving sides, struggling for breath. His supper was untouched from the previous evening, and his head was hanging low. I called the veterinary clinic where he is a patient, and told them I was coming. He went right into the trailer, and we were on our way, or so I thought. The trailer was dragging, and the wheels weren't turning. I realized the brakes were locked up, and I was extremely disappointed. This was my new trailer. Fighting thoughts that my horse was going to die because of a mechanical malfunction, I called the business where I purchased the trailer. They do repairs, too. I was instructed to take the wheels off and I jacked up the trailer, but couldn't find my four-way tire iron. My ratchet set didn't have the right attachment. I called the veterinary clinic and let them know I was having trailer trouble, and I wasn't on my way yet. I checked my horse again, and he seemed worse. A voice in my head was screaming in frustration, and I tried to calm myself because I was not thinking clearly. I knew it was the brakes, and I thought about unplugging the wiring harness, or just cutting the emergency breakaway wire. (My trailer does not have electric breaks installed.) I looked for my tire iron again, and brought a mallet from the barn. I called the veterinary clinic again, and they let me know they tried to call me back. A technician thought I should unplug the trailer. I reached over and yanked the harness out, and the wheel that was jacked off the ground immediately began to turn. Stupid. The thought was there earlier, but I never followed through. And since the trailer shop didn't mention it, I didn't think it could be so easy. Two hours after discovering my horse was sick, I finally hit the road.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment